Summer hasn’t slowed us down!
Here’s an update on what’s been happening
I know it’s been a while since you’ve heard from us, but that’s only because we’ve been busy bees. Lots of things are happening in our community, and we’re doing our best to stay engaged with it all! That being said, there are a few updates and opportunities to know about.
1. New Developments – business seems to be booming all over the parish. We’re meeting with new and "seasoned" businesses in Vermilion and things seem to be looking up. You may have noticed the several projects completed or underway, but just in case, here are a few…
- Maurice has 2 new retailers in the Maurice Village shopping center – JC Kate Boutique (children’s clothing) and Beau Lane Boutique (Women’s Clothing), but that’s not all, another development featuring a new Snap Fitness is going up on the southern end of the Village, too!
- Abbeville has had a few closures in recent months (national retailers Payless Shoe Source & Rue 21), but local establishments are moving in! Red Bird Boutique has moved onto the by-pass in the former Grae Plus space (and we’re excited to report that you can still buy the fashionable hand-made Grae Stone jewelry and their new line of natural products called Grae Moon online straight from their base of operations in Maurice!), and local restaurants – Soulful Eats and Spicy Asian Cajun are ready to take your order! Both establishments serve counter-style takeout and are as delicious as they are fun. You may have seen life at the old Midway building on Magdalen Square – that’s because the fine dining Italian restaurant (Midway on the Square) is now open for business!
- Erath has a new gift shop, April’s Scents & More and Kaplan will soon have a new music studio – Ravis Records – down the street from the new Pythons Vape & Lounge on Cushing Avenue.
- Be on the lookout for Vermilion’s newest attraction, a shooting range, coming soon to Maurice (LA Range Gun Club) or relax at Détendez-vous – a luxurious spa in the heart of Abbeville. If you’d rather recreate at home, grab your summer supplies at Backyard Oasis Pools & Spas.
2. Economic Development Funding – We got exciting news this week…we were awarded the USDA Rural Business Development Grant we applied for, and are awaiting response on two other grant proposals we assisted with that will bring more capacity and public facilities to Vermilion. Be on the lookout for enhanced programming and upgraded services. Want to get involved? Now’s the time, contact us to get involved in a committee!
3. Regional Economic Development – Due to a new agreement between the Acadiana Economic Development Council (a 7-parish advisory board made of professional economic developers) and One Acadiana (a 9-parish regional economic development organization), Vermilion Parish now has a permanent seat on the One Acadiana board of directors! Our Executive Director, Anne Falgout, will be serving in this capacity to ensure available resources and opportunities are communicated to Vermilion Parish businesses and our parish concerns are passed up the chain of command. One Acadiana also has a new Interim CEO, Jim Bourgeois. If you’d like to meet Jim or set up a visit with his staff, please let us know!
There’s always something happening in Vermilion Parish, and we want to know about it. Feel free to drop us a line at info to keep us posted!